Rockville, MD Mosquito Control Services
Mosquitoes are a major problem in Rockville, MD, and Montgomery County in general. The climate in the Piedmont Plateau is hot and humid with temperatures in the summer ranging from the high 70s to the low 90s. Summer thunderstorms are frequent, which provides prefect conditions for mosquitoes to flourish and multiply.
Common Mosquitoes in the Rockville Area
The most common mosquito species that inhabit Montgomery County include the Asian Tiger Mosquito, the Yellow Fever Mosquito and the common house mosquito. These pests lay thousands of eggs in small pools of water found in old tires, buckets, cans, leaking hose puddles, bird baths and pet food dishes. Malfunctioning storm drains are also a prime breeding ground for the pests.
Mosquitoes are a nuisance that can ruin a family BBQ, but they also carry serious diseases like Dengue Fever, Encephalitis and West Nile Virus. Many health officials and NASA scientists believe that the deadly Zika virus, which is transmitted by mosquitoes, will eventually reach Maryland. Fortunately, no cases have been reported in the state so far. At the very least, a mosquito infestation can transform your backyard from an oasis of enjoyment to a bug-infested itchy nightmare.
Rockville Mosquito Control Strategies
A successful mosquito abatement strategy must focus on removing existing infestations and eliminating environments suitable for reproduction. At Capitol Pest, our comprehensive mosquito control plan begins with a thorough inspection of your property by one of our trained and certified technicians. We locate active areas and identify the offending mosquito species. When the inspection is completed, we develop a treatment plan that includes the following elements:
- Identification of active and potential breeding sites. We find and remove natural and man-made objects where standing water can collect.
- We eliminate gaps and breaches in your home’s perimeter so mosquitoes can’t get into the living area.
- We implement a vegetation management plan to reduce or eliminate the plants and shrubs that provide mosquitoes with shade and moisture during the day.
- When necessary, we apply an environmentally-friendly microbial pesticide to eliminate existing colonies.
- Growth inhibitors can be applied to prevent active larvae from hatching in wet conditions.
Complete Mosquito Control Services
Homeowners should be wary of DIY mosquito control products. Some consumer formulations contain hazardous chemicals that don’t provide the same level of protection as professional-grade treatments. Mosquitoes represent a serious threat that is best addressed by a qualified pest control contractor. If you live in Rockville, MD, or the surrounding area, call the experts at Capitol Pest today.